Friday, September 28, 2012

On The Road, In The Air

I've been in San Francisco since Wednesday afternoon, and Internet access has been a bit less accessible than I expected, so I haven't been posting.


(I can't get the image to rotate; I'll keep working on it.)

Which doesn't mean there hasn't been a lot on my mind, especially since traveling means staying in a hotel which means access to a TV, so I've had the TV tuned mostly to CNN.  I've seen way too much Erin Burnett, but frankly, Anderson Cooper isn't much better.  Both remind me of the very narrow spectrum of opinion that TV news offers, from A to B.  Should the US nuke Syria, or just use incendiary weapons?  Are we taking firm enough action against Iran to prevent them from getting nuclear weapons: are sanctions enough, or will military action, hand in hand with our friends in Israel, be necessary?  (The irony of two nuclear powers with long histories of aggression and terrorism telling Iran not to defend itself is lost on all the commentators.)  Or how about the election, what can Romney do to close the gap between him and Obama?  (It's not considered that Romney's policies and public statements, or indeed Obama's, have any relevance.  Winning the championship is the only thing that matters.)

But I've also been to the GLBT History Museum, which has an exhibit on gay -- actually, mostly lesbian, but that's fine with me -- Asians and Pacific Islanders in the Bay Area.  It's small, but still worth a look.  There's also a new (though even smaller) exhibit about the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.  I attended a meeting of a gay men's discussion group Wednesday evening, which was a lot of fun and very satisfying.  Some issues came up that I mean to write about soon.

This is only the third time I've ever been to the Gay Mecca, and it's the best time I've had so far.  Which, I suppose, is another reason I haven't been writing, I've been distracted: that's the point of traveling, isn't it?  I'll be returning home tomorrow morning, and then I'll try to get back to work.