Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Flaunting It!

Okay, I'm as diverse as the next person, and some of my best friends are heterosexuals, okay? What I don't get is why they have to ram their sex lives down my throat.

I mean, there are children watching. They might decide it would be "cool" to grow up like that. What ever happened to privacy? Why don't they just do it in the road?

For contrast, here's a model of discretion for you.



The writer at the Huffington Post, where I found this, wondered:
It's commendable of McDonald's to display their inclusiveness, but it's unclear why they felt the need to air such an ad at all. Were French gay people previously feeling unwelcome in McDonald's?
I don't know; from what I hear, French culture is pretty homophobic. But that's probably not what the commercial is about. If it were, McDonald's would issue press releases deploring prejudice and stating their commitment to diversity and tolerance. Heterosexual families, for example, aren't shown in McDonald's ads because McDonald's worries that heterosexuals were previously feeling unwelcome in McDonald's. But it's a cute ad. I wonder how long it will be till we see one like it for US McDonald's, but I won't hold my breath.