Monday, October 19, 2009

Darling, Beneath This Butch Drag ...



I was a bad ... whatever last night, sitting up drinking with a couple of friends until 3 a.m. Fortunately I didn't have to be at work until 11:30 this morning, and I'm not much of a drinker anyway, so I wasn't hungover. But I am worn out, so I don't have much to say except to commend these two videos to your attention.

First up, George Takei from a couple of years ago, though I only saw it for the first time this past weekend. I was never a devotee of Sulu on Star Trek, Takei just isn't my type despite my general fondness for men of Asian descent; and while I was pleased when Takei finally came out publicly, I thought he'd be just another tiresome respectable Homo-American celeb trying to assure nervous heterosexuals that we're modest and quiet and would never want to make anyone uncomfortable. So this clip, in which he responded to a noisome bigot in a very funny way, delighted me. George can't quite bring it off -- comedy just isn't his forte -- but he gets an A for effort.

I found the Takei clip by browsing from this post on Stephen Rader's blog, which also gets credit for this clip today. I'm not much into bears, and these lads need to put on at least 50 pounds apiece before they fully qualify anyway, but they get points for campiness and exploding the stereotype that butch gay men never have any interest in doing girl group impressions. They could teach George a thing or two about doing comedy, too.



I haven't seen Glee yet (I don't watch TV, remember? my set doesn't have the digital converter, and I only use it to watch movies), but it looks like it's already corrupting the youth of our nation -- and about time. Let every boy in America get together with friends and mime "I Say a Little Prayer"!

By the way, I just noticed that I passed the 500 mark for posts on this blog a few days back. Not bad; I wasn't sure when I started it that I'd last this long.

P.S. It spreads, like a radioactive virus causing erogenous sores. (As an index of the degradation of our culture, Youtube videos now come with their own outtakes and bloopers reels.)