Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tooting My Own Horn

... as if writing a blog was doing anything different!

Anyway, I keep meaning to start up a separate blog about Korean films, but never get around to it -- I can hardly keep this one going! Meanwhile, I'm still contributing the occasional review to Darcy Paquet's KoreanFilm.org site. My take on Bong Joon-Ho's latest film Mother, went up just a few days ago. Two of Bong's films, Memories of Murder and The Host, got limited US release on the screen and DVD; if you liked either one, you'll want to watch out for Mother, too.

I have maybe a dozen other reviews on the site, ranging from little independent films to TV dramas to older films. I like seeing older Korean movies, which are often quite good in their own right, but also to see what Korea looked like forty or fifty years ago. I feel good about getting my review of Mother online, though, because it's the first review of a current movie I've done there.

(Mother with the golf club in the bushes: image from Wildgrounds.)